You strictly follow your daily makeup cleansing routine, but how often do you spare some time to clean your makeup brushes? Ah, please, don’t say NEVER.
Brushes are an investment, and many people don’t even realize how important their cleaning is to getting the most out of that investment. When we let makeup accumulate on brushes, it not only affects makeup application quality, but it can also cause several skin problems.
Here are probably the most important reasons for you shouldn’t skip your makeup brushes cleaning regularly. Consider the beauty blenders the same way.
- Bacteria Buildup: When you don’t wash your makeup brushes, nasty bacteria, dirt, and skin oils can accumulate on them. Using dirty tools can create or intensify skin issues.
- Skin irritation: A dirty brush can be a major cause of skin irritation. Brushes caked with makeup products lose their softness and flexibility. They feel harsh on the skin, making it dull and rough, and can trigger redness and irritation.
- Clogged pores: Applying makeup with filthy brushes and sponges can clog your oil glands and pores with previous product residues. And, you’re spreading dirt everywhere on your face.
- Breakouts: Swiping a dirt and bacteria-infested brush all over your face can simply leave your skin more prone to acne breakouts.
- Pinkeye: Brushes used around your eyes can spread bacteria and viruses into your eyes if they are not kept scrupulously clean. Pink eye is usually caused by an adenovirus, (common cold), but can be caused by other things too.
- Early skin wrinkling: Soiled brushes can expose the skin to free radicals, oxidative stress that breaks down your collagen, and can result in premature aging.
- Uneven makeup application: Muddy brushes fail to blend your makeup flawlessly. Making it much more difficult to achieve the true colors of your foundation, blush, and eye shades.
- Ruin your entire beauty product: Murky brushes spoil the entire cosmetic product. The use of an uncleaned makeup brush transfers the bacteria and contaminates the whole beauty product, and leads to a shorter useful life.
Clean brushes give the best foundation application, flawless blending, and are key to clear skin and a glamorous look. Regular cleaning protects your investment, and makes them last longer.
BTW, when did you last clean your brushes?
For tips on how to clean your brushes, see my YouTube video “How to Clean Your Makeup Brushes“.